Quick Links

Monday 11 July 2016

Sky Wolf Eye Q5 Pen Torch Review

Flashlight Fiesta #5

SkyWolfEye Cree™ Q5 Pen Torch




Price: £0.45 - £1.00 winning bids (4 purchased)
Manufacturer: SkyWolfEye
Model: TLY-B7
Vendor: Seller via ebay
Description: Cree™ Q5 Medical Pen Torch 1200lumens (ha!)
What's in the Packet?: Just the flashlight
Shipped From:  China 

First Impressions
These inexpensive pen light torches crop up all the time on eBay with prices varying normally between £1.10-£2.00 with shipping. As they are so cheap I thought it might be worth buying a few. Thankfully for me I managed to bag all four off eBay for between £0.42 - £1.00 which seemed really good.

These pen lights arrive well packaged and damage free. Upon opening the bubble wrap inner bag we find a good quality aluminium torch body, a reasonable screw on end cap and clicky on-off switch. The Torch seems well made, lightweight and reasonably durable. In terms of being waterproof I very much doubt it. Rubber O-rings are nowhere to be seen. I suspect this will be at least splashproof.
The LED itself is a bit of a mystery. It looks uncannily like a old 5mm LED? Is this really a Cree™ underneath? I'm not so sure at this point.

Testing
The light given off from this tiny LED is actually rather good.
Although this torch won't throw light very far it's better for close work.  Afterall it is labeled as being for medical inspection (nurses,doctors ,vets etc) so this shorter distance is ideal. The light ring emmited is more of a miniature spot beam. It's clear with absolutely no spill. Pretty good.

Rating:  ✅✅✅✅✅ 5 out of 5
Cheap, effective, handy are just some words to describe these little Chinese beauties. All four of mine arrived in good working order with no quality control issues whatsoever. I would recommend these in an instant- especially if purchased at less than £1.
Great value!


Update:
Yeah, that's definitely NOT a Cree LED in there.  - that's not to say that this light is crap.
Since I wrote this review I managed to sell all 12 of my Pen torches with no complaints.
I still maintain the 5 tick rating.. still great value just don't believe the seller bull about its Q5 led and power output!