Quick Links

Sunday 19 June 2016

Baofeng UV-5R Radio Test - Winter Hill #1

First Altitude test for the new Baofeng

Quite recently I purchased the much praised Baofeng UV-5RE dual band FM Transceiver. Boasting power ratings of 1W (low) and 4W (high) this radio has the potential for boosting my PMR coverage. Not only that, they only cost £20 approx to buy. (A full review will be posted in the very near future).
So armed with my new radio and an after market 773 antenna I headed for the hills.  I must admit, I should have checked the weather forecast first as not long after I found my spot it started to rain. After only five minutes the whole of the main Winter Hill Transmission tower was gone from sight. Signals on the Baofeng were reduced but I still managed to get some good results.


Now you see me...

Now you don't! 



Notable success:
PMR 446: Although no one was willing to chat via channel 8, the staple eight channels was quite busy with runners, motorcycle training teams and the odd farmer . This is usual from up top of Winter Hill. 

433.075 Ashton Repeater: Distance: 20 miles This Repeater can be heard from all over Manchester and is famous for hosting the All Star American node. I can usually hear it from home but can never ping it successfully - Not a problem from up here!

Ping return noise followed by an American guy coming in


More from the American guys via 433.075

433.250 Liverpool Repeater: Distance: 24miles
This Repeater can sometimes be heard at home but never steady. The reception from Winter Hill was flawless and I was able to speak to this Repeater which was an added bonus, especially considering the weather outside.
Some of the conversations being heard were quite comical. The Scouse lads have a great sense of humour.


Testing two Antennas
The standard antenna which comes with this radio is 17cm long and a good compromise between the 2m and 70cm bands. It performs really well both at home and up here.
My other Antenna is a Retevis N-773 which is basically a long telescopic aerial. This works well at home for pulling in the more distance signals. At height it actually worked better fully retracted and at its shortest length. (A few inches shorter than the stock) which was surprising.
Both the stock A-V85 and the N-773 are good performers with very little difference between them.

Overall then a good test despite the dreadful weather. It seems the Baofeng has lots of potential.
More from Winter Hill soon