Quick Links

Saturday 7 May 2016

Honey Monster Choco Puffs Review

Vendor: Poundland
Price: £1
Description: Chocolate coated Honey puffed rice

What the hell happened to Sugar Puffs? I bought this enticing little number from my friendly neighbourhood Poundland recently.
Quality was to be expected with such a destinguised brand as Quaker. And this seemed a bargain for only one £1..... Wrong!



Upon opening the inner cereal bag I was greeted by what looked like some dead insects. Patchy brown and beetle-like. Taking one from the packet I noticed a very slight whiff or chocolate but nothing else. They could easily have been mistaken for pieces of packing foam. Not a great start to a long awaited breakfast. I gave myself a large portion in the bowl and poured on the Milk. The first mouthful would be my last. The taste was very strange. I could taste something resembling chocolate I think? I couldnt be sure so I carried on chewing. The original syrupy Honey glaze was non-existent. Finally at the end of the mouthful I got the taste of a chewed pencil. Intensely woody with a hint of carbon would best describe. Awful.

So what happened to the Sugar Puffs of times past?
First of all it appears I have not been paying attention. Some years ago producer Quaker let go of its Sugar Puffs division and flogged it on to an outfit called Big Bear. In the years that have followed this acquisition the name has been rebranded to 'Honey Monsters Puffs' and the recipe has had an 8% Sugar reduction whilst the Honey has had an 20% increase.
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me...replacing Sugar with sugar but nevermind. Things are very different now in camp Sugar puff.  Your taste buds will attest to that!

"Don't tell em about the Honey Mummy!"


Rating: 1 out of 5


As foul as a rotten box of Frogs. This cereal is for those with a stomach of steel and taste buds to match. Yeeuw!

Pants!