Quick Links

Tuesday 21 June 2016

Baofeng Speaker Mic Modification

Whilst I love this little accessory and can see the benefits of owning one straight away, I can't forgive the fact that the tiny microphone hole on the front is way off center with the actual Mic underneath.

I'm convinced that this little misaligned hole could be causing the poor audio I experienced when testing. As this piece of kit only cost £3 I wasn't that bothered about tearing it up a bit.  I decided to do something about it.

So here's what I did.....

1) I took the three screws off the back with a small ended Philips screwdriver.

2) I then took the two screws off the small PCB with the components on.



3) Carefully I lifed both the circuit board and cable out of the way and gently prized the Speaker out with a thin flat blade screwdriver. Emphasis on the gently here.

4) once the front section is removed I carefully made the hole larger with the screwdriver until I could get a larger Philips screwdriver in and repeated the process. Eventually I could push it right through.

5) A small circle of Speaker grill was cut from an old Bluetooth unit I had lying around. As I didn't like the look of the big hole I just made I thought that filling it with something may help with keeping any water out and improve its looks.. The metal mesh was carefully trimmed to size until it could fit snuggly in the round hole area on the inside moulding.

6) Hot glued everything in place and reassembled! Job done!




Everything seems to be much better now and I don't think it looks too bad