Quick Links

Saturday 19 November 2016

Distant signals from Rishworth Moor

From the top of a very snowy rishworth moor yesterday I managed to hear some fairly distant stations coming through my UV-82. I found this quite surprising considering the blizzard that was taking place outside the vehicle.



Through the snow came Mo and the boys on the Liverpool Repeater which was roughly 46 miles from where I was. Rishworth moor sits about 430m asl which explains the reason why I could.  It's not a massive distance by any stretch but certainly more than normal. I think the sensitivity of the Baofeng radios is also a contributing factor.



Atmospherics do play a big part in radio propagation I'm told so perhaps snow doesn't really matter? Interesting nonetheless. More high ground shenanigans to come