Quick Links

Monday 19 December 2016

I Got My Amateur Radio License

Radio News (concerning me)


I'm now a licensed radio operator!

Exam certificate and licence

Despite having an interest in Radio for years I never got around to getting my ham radio ticket....until now.
I had decided to try and get my ham ticket before the end of the year and with some help from the local radio guru Ringway Manchester managed to hook me up with a radio club hosting a foundation course before Christmas.
(Thanks again Lewis 👍)

Having successfully passing the foundation exam (technician exam in the USA) over the course of a weekend I can now use all of my high powered handheld radios without fear of prosecution!

The foundation course is the first step on the road to becoming a full license holder - essentially allowing more powerful transmissions, the ability to build powerful radios and use all of the designated amateur radio frequencies.
Before all of that comes the intermediate course which at this stage isn't something I'm too bothered about.
My current license allows me a maximum transmission power of 10W and enough of the HF/VHF and UHF band to be going on with.

Sitting the weekend course was an enjoyable experience, gaining knowledge and meeting people from all walks of life.

The foundation course isn't hard to do.  5 out of the 6 applicants on the course (including me) passed the exam and passed well.
I'm still wondering how that one guy managed to fail?!

I'm looking forward to doing some proper radio testing from now on.

Other successful candidates on my course include:
M6TPS
M6IEZ
M6IEY

Well done to them