Quick Links

Sunday 4 December 2016

All I want for Christmas is a Baofeng





All I want for Christmas is a Baofeng
Not really,  there are plenty of things on my Christmas wish list and a Baofeng radio is nowhere to be seen.  so why am I posting this?

Well because after trawling through the hundreds of pages of radio adverts recently my eyes were drawn to a few select models which to me looked really good. - perhaps I do want a new Baofeng afterall?


Baofeng Black 997-S


The Baofeng Black 997-S is nothing new really. It's just another restyled UV-5R but I do like it. It comes with the reverse LCD display and a chunky radio body. The keys are nicely coloured and I like the contrasting orange and black colour scheme. Pity they ship this radio with the old R5 stock antenna which is universally considered as being shite.
Prices for the 997-S are upwards of £25 and currently only seem to ship from the far East. No local sellers seem to have stock.


Baofeng UV-6


The Baofeng UV-6 is another incarnation of the ever popular UV-5R this time looking more like a 5RX. This radio seems very similar in styling to the Retevis R5. Again UK suppliers seem thin on the ground. Prices nearer to the £30 mark and shipped mainly from the far East.




Baofeng UV-B2


I don't really know a great deal about the Baofeng UV-B2 except that it's a facelifted UV-82.  It features the reverse LCD display and a mean looking design.  Definitely a natural progression from the 82. I really like the look of this radio.




Baofeng FF-12P



The FF-12P is a reworked UV-5RX and BF-UV2 by the looks of things. It all gets a little confusing after a while. It features a nice reverse LCD display. Finding one in the UK might be a problem so paying over the odds and waiting for China post seems the only way to get one. Still like it though



Baofeng ...? Can't remembers

I saw this pair of radios once and never saw them again. I have forgotten the model number too which doesn't help. They briefly appeared on a website somewhere but since that time they have failed to show their faces on ebay or anywhere else that I usually frequent.? They look like a reworked UV-B5 or something similar. Not bad looking at all.




Baofeng UV-5RZ


The Baofeng UV-5RZ is an even more rugged looking UV-82. 
Another solid looking professional rig like the UV-B2 I mentioned a moment ago. I really want one of these but they seem a little scarce on the ground, especially here in the UK. 



Baofeng rarely brings out a radical new model and so the old favourites UV-5R and UV-82 get a new look. Whilst it would be nice to see a brand new model at least I know what to expect if I got one of these. Better the devil you know.

Anyone who is stuck for finding me a Christmas present this year can order me one of these.