Quick Links

Thursday 8 September 2016

Drive Safety Digital Breathalyser Review



Drive Safety Digital Breathalyser



Price: £1 free shipping
Manufacturer: Drive Safety
Model:
Component: Alcohol Oxide Sensor
Run By: 2x AAA
Vendor: Seller electro_uk99 via ebay
Shipped From: UK
What's in the box?: The device, a lanyard and an instruction sheet
Description: UK Handheld Breathalyser. AAA Battery.



First Impressions
I'm not sure why I bid for this lot? I saw it listed at 99p and hit the button. The funny thing is I don't even drink! So why I thought I might need a Breathalyser is a mystery.-  I can always sell it on I suppose?

The item arrived very quickly due to the fact that it was shipped from a UK warehouse.
Inside the small cardboard retail box was the Breathalyser, a lanyard and an instruction sheet.  Not bad for a quid I suppose..
On closer inspection the build quality of the device is not very good to be honest. It's a cheap plastic contrivance with little in the way of strength but unless someone accidentally sits on it I can't see why it should break so I'm not too bothered by the shoddy materials.
The LCD display is as basic as they come, a couple of lines in height and lacking in contrast but legible.
In terms of a controls this device only has one button. Simple stuff.
Batteries are not supplied but a regular pair of AAA's were located and installed.



Testing 
As I said earlier, I don't drink so testing was always going to be awkward. However on this occasion I decided to have a little swig of Whisky which was hanging about the house.
The button on the front of the unit was pressed and a ten second countdown began on the screen.
After the countdown ended I was prompted to blow at the grille on the front (from a distance of 4 inches) and continue blowing until I heard a beep. The Analyser then came back with its result.
According to the meter I had 0.19,% BAC (blood alcohol concentration) or 1.9 g/l (grams per litre) In my system.
As well as the digital read out I got a warning symbol on the bottom...warning me I was over the limit (I think?) Ha ha hilarious seeing as though I only has a swig and nothing else. I reckon it must be a little out in its calculations!

The drink drive limit
Level of alcoholEngland, Wales and Northern IrelandScotland
Micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath3522
Milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood8050
Milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine10767


Rating: ✅✅ 2 out of 5
I would say this device was grossly inaccurate judging by my earlier test involving the smallest slurp of Whisky possible! Oh well,  it was only a quid afterall.
Not sure I would buy another. It's untrustworthy
Don't drink and drive and you won't need to buy one in the first place.