Quick Links

Friday 23 September 2016

DIY Cheap Survival Box Project

Aphoristic Does Bush Craft


DIY  Cheapo Bug Out/Survival Box (Part 1)

My first custom survival box is finally complete and so far it's looking good.
Having seen some of the much crappier Bug-Out Boxes on Ebay I thought I might knock one up myself and see how cheaply I could make it. I set myself the challenge

Over the past few months I have been ordering other bits and pieces as well as the torches, slowly building a big pile of outdoorsy survival stuff so I could eventually make myself a box.


Prototype Box #1 - Medium Size
Contents
  • Multi-function Compass Tool
  • Deluxe Keyring Saw
  • SkyWolfEye TLY-320 Torch
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Credit Card Multi-Tool
  • Bear Claw neck Knife
  • Windproof/Waterproof Matches
  • Paracord Cross
  • Baofeng UV-5RTP FM Transceiver
  • Nagoya NA-666 Antenna
  • Small keychain Multi-Tool


Baofeng FM Transceiver
Having one of these in the box was essential.
The ability to make contact with someone on either PMR 446 or the 2m VHF and 70cm UHF amateur channels makes this handset quite useful. This particular model is the high powered 8 W version of the Baofeng 5R . This radio can also monitor two channels simultaneously and listen to standard FM radio stations too. This one was purchased for under twenty quid which is unbelievable.
Packing the after market Nagoya (fake) 666 Antenna into the box adds extra performance to the radio over its standard rubber duck. Although it's a fake it's perfectly useable and works very well.

Paracord Cross
I had to slip a bit of paracord in there somewhere. As it has many uses it seemed daft not to pop some in. This yellow cross I made ages ago is a perfect fit for the box. Roughly about 6 feet in total

Windproof/Waterproof Matches
As it's pretty difficult to light a fire in a gale a pack of these should do the trick.
They work really well and even work when it's raining.

Emergency Blanket
A useful feature for any survival kit as it can be used as a make shift shelter as well as a heat retaining blanket.
Worth the 50p asking price

Bear Claw Knife
I had the idea of adding a blade of some sort and these claws fit the bill perfectly
They are Slim, small and sharp enough for basic applications when out camping and hiking.

SkyWolfEye Torch
A torch is a pretty important part of any outdoors kit and choosing the right one for this small box proved quite difficult.
I could have packed an Ultrafire XM-L in there but the size of the thing would have been a problem.
Instead I went for a good performing mini torch. The little A320 offers plenty of Diffused light with the bonus of running on a single AA. The run time is about 4-5 hours depending which battery is used which coincidentally, is roughly the same run time as the bigger, brighter XM-L T6. So no real need for big bulky torches.

Multi-function Compass Tool
I already reviewed this fantastic gadget a few weeks ago.
It's too good to leave out of the box to be honest.
It has all sorts of features including a fire starting kit, whistle, torch, Signalling mirror and an accurate compass which is back lit.

Deluxe Keyring Saw
Having reviewed the smaller model and found it to be very useful I upgraded to the fancy one with the blue handles. It's a little bigger than the original keychain saw but the larger handles are easier to grip.
For sawing small tree branches this thing has it covered.

Various Multi-Tools
As these items are small they can fit easily into the box.
Handy if you want to adjust the screws on your bike or for opening a tin can etc. Plenty of different uses.


Omissions
There appears to be no medical kit included in this box.
To counter this I'm thinking of slipping a few sticking plasters under the blanket.


How Much Did It Cost?
To make a box like this costs the grand total of .......wait for it!.....

£27.80

Itemised Cost Breakdown:
  • Waterproof Matches £0.50
  • Deluxe Keyring Saw £0.60
  • SkyWolfEye Torch £0.85
  • Bear Claw Knife £0.85
  • Compass Multi-function Tool £1.70
  • Emergency Blanket £0.50
  • Credit Card Multi-Tool £0.90
  • Small keyring Tool £0.25
  • Paracord Cross £0.00 Free
  • Baofeng UV-5RTP 8W FM Transceiver £18.15
  • Nagoya Dual Band Antenna £1.20
  • Green Hard Case £2.30
So a medium size box full of gear for under thirty quid!
I was surprised at how cheap it turned out to be considering the radio was a large portion of the cost.
As space in this medium sized box is at a premium the radio could be substituted for other things. But I would sooner keep the radio in there when I consider it's usefulness.

Overall I'm happy with the end result. The box is great. I really like it. I doubt i could get something comparable from the high street...or maybe even online? I haven't seen one yet anyway.
Ebay is definitely a good place to get bargain kit!