Quick Links

Sunday 26 February 2017

Kappler Zytron Z400 Hazmat Suit






Kappler Zytron Z400 Chemical Protection Suit




Manufacturer: Kappler
Model: Z400
StyleZ4H428
Country of Origin: USA
Condition: New
Price: £13.00 free shipping
Vendor: Private seller on eBay
Shipped from: UK
Description: Personal Chemical Protection suit



First impressions
I think I have always wanted a real hazmat suit of my own, I'm not quite sure why? Perhaps it's because I have seen so many in the movies over the years.
Due to my recent venture into selling cold war crap it's as good a time as any to buy one for testing with a gas mask.

With my mind set on buying an NBC/Hazmat suit I started searching through the eBay listings looking for a bargain or two.
The auction lots are awash with British army NBC suits and similar but very little in the way of a special coated suit at a good price....Apart from this Kappler Z400

I paid just over £13 for it with free postage which didn't seem too bad for a first purchase.



I had never heard of Kappler before or their suits but a quick search on Google revealed that this US firm was highly regarded as a supplier of quality protective wear.

This Z400 series suit features the Zytron formulated coating which offers protection against a broad range of Chemicals.
It's available in a few different styles including a full helmet version.


What does it protect against?
According to some test results posted on the Kappler site the Z400 suit has been tested against a few nasty things...

Rather than listing every chemical and gas tested against this suit I have left a link below to the Z400 webpage

http://www.kappler.com/index.php/products/zytron400




This suit features a tough zipper which has a protective flap to cover it.
One long piece of sticky tape ensures the flap stays in place.
It feels sturdy enough


The hood part of the suit is elasticated around the edge and offers good head protection.

The inner material can be seen as a white cotton wool looking lining. It's very reminiscent of a standard CSI style boiler suit but with a super coated layer on the outside.

The label inside says it's a 'Disposable' garment and I suppose it is but I can't help thinking that it is strong enough to last out for a while. It's really tough.
The shelf life of the suit is 20+ years according to official data so it can certainly be stored in your shed for a few years I suppose.


One great feature of this suit is its reinforced seams. Totally air tight and waterproof.
I believe the material is folded and heat sealed along the seams making this suit very hard-wearing. 

Testing
I don't plan on chucking battery acid over myself in a feeble attempt at a functionality test, No chance, instead I'm going to take Kappler and the customer testimonials on their word about how effective this suit is. 

As for wearing the suit its really easy to put on.
Just unzip the front and step into it. 
This version of the Z400 has elasticated ankles, wrists and hood which means that a pair of gloves and overboots are also required to be completely protected.
Mobility inside the suit is very good. Plenty of room to move about without feeling baggy.

The size of my Z400 suit was medium with a maximum height size of 5ft 8"  - Just right for me.
Every part of the suit seemed to fit quite well. 



Why would you want one of these?
Well if you are a prepped type then a good cheap suit could be a great addition to your SHTF arsenal. 
Others may buy it for protection for a specific shitty job you have to do. They certainly seem a useful thing to have in the house. 


Rating: ✅✅✅✅✅ 5 out of 5
You cant knock the Z400 for the money, it's terrific value compared to other comparable suits. Preppers take note!