Quick Links

Thursday 23 February 2017

Czech Military M60 Canteen

Cold War Crap 

Mini - Review

Czech Army M60 Canteen



Manufacturer: ?
Model: true model number unknown -part of M60 kit
Country: Czechoslovakia
Year: ?
Production Run: ?
Price: FREE when bought with a spare gas mask Hose (£5)
Condition: Used but in very good condition
Vendor: Seller bea27storee  on ebay
Shipped From: UK


First impressions
I wasn't expecting to receive a Czech Army canteen in the mail if I'm honest. It came bundled with a spare gas mask Hose I had ordered earlier in the week - so finding this furry water bottle in the packet was a very pleasant surprise!.
The original order was for a £5 gas mask Hose and the price included free courier shipping - not bad at all

Buy a Hose - get a canteen free!


After trawling the internet for a while I could find hardly any information on the M60 canteen. The only thing I could find out was that these were issued to Czech soldiers during the cold war. I have no idea as to how old this thing is. I'm guessing at late 1970's issue at the very least. I'm still trying to identify it's true age. 
One thing I did find out was the normal asking price on eBay. 
It seems that the M60 canteen goes for around the £9-£10 mark in the majority of stores. As the hose I bought only cost me £5 it's interesting that my free gift is worth double the amount?! I'm not complaining about it though 👍😂😂😂

What is it made from?

  • Outer jacket made from synthetic or Woollen Felt 
  • Harness made from Leather
  • Canteen made from Aluminium
  • Stopper made from plastic
  • Tether made from string

The reverse side


The canteen is really well made with a tough and rugged feel to it. Exactly what you would expect from a Soviet run factory back in the old days. Tough as nails.

The actual capacity of the Canteen is around 800ml so it does seem large enough to be useful. 


These canteens also available with a cork stopper rather than the plastic one used here. Both styles will do the job I suspect. I'm wondering if the cork version might make the canteen older looking?

As for testing the canteen, I haven't bothered yet. I haven't plucked up the courage to take a swig - not without sterilising
Someone may have pissed in it?

There really isn't much more to say about this soldiers accessory. It's a really nice thing to have. Definitely one for the collection.

👍👍👍👍👍