Quick Links

Wednesday 5 October 2016

My Paracord Project Part 1

Aphoristic Does Bush Craft



From left to right we have
  1. Solomon knot Karabiner Lanyard
  2. Simple solomon knot Cross
  3. Camouflage Solomon knot Survival Bracelet
  4. "Boxed-in" Solomon Survival Bracelet
  5. Fishtail belly knot survival bracelet
  6. Two colour Mini Solomon bracelet
  7. Small box knot keyring
  8. Large box knot keyring
  9. Large Solomon knot cross

With paracord being so cheap these days I thought I might buy a load and make some interesting stuff with it.
Making paracord items has been said to be quite therapeutic and stress relieving so I was curious.
After a few hours and a few YouTube videos I managed to knock up a few items - this post represents what I have made so far.
Rather than showing step by step instructions on making each knot I thought it would be easier to post a link to the actual videos I watched to learn the knots. These guys are professionals and make a better video that I could ever muster. So under each knot design will be the how-to link to make one yourself.

Over the past few weeks I had slowly been building a small stock pile of coloured cord. Rather than buying huge 100 feet lengths of each colour I went for the smaller 7 feet lengths which can be bought for as little as 11p each.
Despite being shipped from the sun kissed pacific island of vanuatu, the quality of this paracord isnt exactly the best it has to be said. It's a little thinner than what I'm used to, a bit like shoe laces but it's strong and usable none-the-less.
Armed with a few colours and a few ideas I set to work on my little projects.


Box Knot Keyring


This fancy looking knot is a little tricky to get started but once it's completed, it looks really nice. The keyring is optional

How to make video below




'Boxed-In" Knot


This knot is a striking variation on the Solomon/Cobra. With an little twist here and there it's quite easy to make a nice looking alternative.

How to make video below




Solomon Knot

This has to be the easiest knot to learn. It's really simple and only takes a view minutes to master. Most survival bracelets from eBay will feature this basic knot. It's easy to knock up a bracelet in 5 minutes once mastered.

How to make video below






Fishtail Belly Knot


Out of all the different knots I tried, the fishtail Belly was the most intricate. It's not difficult by any means, but it did require a little more work. I actually like this knot more than the others

How to video below





So this is as far as I have got with the Paracord weaving.
I plan on trying a few more different styles once my next batch of paracord arrives.