Quick Links

Thursday 31 August 2017

Swiss SM-67 Gas Mask






Cold War Crap


Swiss SM-67 Gas Mask


Manufacturer: Huber + Suhner, Switzerland
Model: SM-67
Country of origin: Switzerland
Year: 1975
Production run: 1967 -1975
Condition: Brand new/Unissued
Fitting: 40mm NATO
Size: -2
Condition: New/Unissed
Availability: Rare
Price: £30
Shipped from: UK



This particular mask happens to one which I have been chasing for some time now.  Its rare on the UK market and I felt that my collection wouldnt be complete without one.  To my knowledge there was only one seller on ebay selling them and he didnt have many to start with. The one thing that was putting me off buying one for so long was the price. Thirty quid sounded a lot to me especially when I normally get masks for anything between a tenner and twenty quid. But who was I kidding? Thirty notes for a rare mask is actually a bargain when compared to the usual price of the likes of the Scott GSR or Avon S12 for instance. Im just a bit of a skint flint I guess.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and parted with the cash. Just as well really as this was his last one and I havent seen anymore on there since. 

So whats all the fuss about? Well this mask hails from neutral Switzerland sometime in the early 1970's. I dont suppose it was made in any great numbers judging by the lack of them generally.
Information on this mask is very thin on the ground but the general concensus is that it was intended for both civilian and military use though I cant confirm that at this point. 

In the kit we have the magnificent face piece, a brand new sealed NATO 40mm filter and a less than impressive haversack (more on that later)


The face piece
The face piece is made from good quality rubber and very reminicent of the german Draeger masks of yesteryear. The eye pieces are round and made from anodised steel. They are very nicely made. They have a DIN rating etched into each one which I havent seen on any mask before.  Both eye pieces have knurling on the edges presumably so they can be replaced easily should the need arise.
The SM-67 came with an inner mask face former for storage purposes so the mask keeps it shape. A nice touch.
The head harness is made from soft elasticated straps and adjustable buckles. 


The inside of the mask is actually quite basic and not at all what I was expecting. No inner mask, no tissot tubes. Its far less advanced than a GP-5 in that respect which is saying something. If it was for the fact that the mask was so rare I would be a little dissapointed.  The inhale/exhale section is also as basic as they come. Its nothing special, just cheap plastic. 
Overall then the face piece is very simple in design but well made.


The Filter
Like the mask, the filter is high quality in its construction. I cant find a manufacturing date anywhere on it, I presume its the same age as the mask so that makes it a 1975 vintage. Its in immaculate condition of course due to the way it has been stored.
Its a full NATO NBC 40mm filter (order number: 4240-756-0015) 
I dont dare take it out of its plastic bag for fear of lowering the resale value. 


The SM-67 was replaced by the SM-74 (in 1974). The newer mask was essentially the same except for an added voice diaphram in the form of a round disc around the nose area. 
It might appear that I am stretching this review out a bit and thats absolutely right. I have very little information on the SM-67. It seems to be a total unknown quantity.  






The Haversack
I really dont like the haversack that comes with this gas mask. Its a steaming pile of shit, it has to be said. 
Basically its made from the same stuff as the ground sheet you might find in a tent. A cheap nylon/plastic tarp material not worthy of such a nice mask. 
I dont know what the swiss were thinking when they opted for this bag. Its rough to the touch and not entirely puncture proof meaning the mask would be in danger should the bag get dropped. 
Not very durable or protective. Even the cheap ass soviet haversacks were better made than this. Bloody awful

Look at the state of that bag! absolute shite!

Overall its a great mask for the collector. Its a pity mine was a minus size meaning I cant try it on. 
(There would normally be a pic of me wearing the mask at this point.) It would probably fit a kid of 10 -12 years old in my opinion but i didnt plan on wearing it anyway.  This mask is going straight into long term storage again.

A ground sheet from a tent?

Rating 4 out of 5
A true collectors piece the SM-67 is worth shelling out the extra cash for. The fact that hardly anything is known about it just adds to the mystique of this rare gas mask.
As elusive as the loch ness monster and just as scary looking. The least said about the haversack the better.