Quick Links

Saturday 7 January 2017

Polish Gas Mask Anti-fog Lens






Cold War Crap

Polish Gas Mask Anti-fog Lens - Micro review

What the hell is this thing?

Price: £1 free postage
Manufacturer: ?
Model: ?
Country: Poland
Year of manufacture: 1986
Years in service: 1970s -1980s
Size: 59mm diameter
Vendor: eBay seller bea27storee
Description: Anti-fog Lens (stickers) for Soviet style masks

That's what it is! Anti-fog stickers..

First impressions 
I must admit I wasn't sure what I was buying when I saw these accessories for my new Polish MUA mask. 
They were listed as lens which to me sounded like glass and most likely glass outserts?
Ha, these Russian style masks don't come with outserts like the MP4 (silly me) it turns out and what these actually are is Anti-fog stickers.
These are meant to be attached on the inside of the mask of course by way of some sticky gluey shit. Anyway, I opted to buy a tin of these clear plastic stickers as they were only a quid including the postage cost.  This sounded a fair deal to me and a nice thing to keep with my mask.

 All the original paperwork is here......In Polish...

The item itself is a steel tin in two halfs bound together by a length of manky rotten sticking plaster!

A manky strip of sticking plaster holds the metal cases

Inside the tin are roughly 10 spare clear plastic lens stickers that are individually separated by disc of paper. Presumably to prevent the stickers straching one another in the
 metal tin.  
I don't think I'm going to be using these anytime soon. It would appear that they may have warped somewhat whilst in deep storage and now they resemble curly taco's. No good.
Nevermind, they can be resealed and kept in the bag as part of the kit.

 They're just too warped to stick on the inside of this mask

The best place to stick these lens is back in the tin.

59mm bang on as the paper card suggested


It's pretty hard to work out what is on the paper information cards inside the tin. 
59mm as the eye piece diameter and the date of 11/1986 is just about readable. Other stuff relating to the factory number are on there too. 

Rating ✅✅✅✅ 4 out of 5
These are a great collectable accessory to keep with your MUA/GP-5 style masks. These would get a full five in the review score but fail badly on the warped condition of the stickers. Pity. I think I got unlucky with this particular tin. They all might not be that bad?